Monday, January 19, 2015

Making of a Doll


[caption id="attachment_1864" align="aligncenter" width="248"]Part of the doll Part of the doll[/caption]

That last head was a dead-end but then I turned the other way.  I started over and tried again. I have the polymer clay parts and the frame completed, now I have to work on the soft stuff, like her clothes and hair. It starts with the head, hands and feet.

[caption id="attachment_1860" align="aligncenter" width="264"]Unpainted head Unpainted head[/caption]

I molded the hands and feet, I was pretty happy with the results sculpturally wise but of course, she'll need some color and some hair. I used acrylics paints to add some color.

[caption id="attachment_1862" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Painted Head Painted Head[/caption]

This the head after I added the paint and the hair. What a change. I still need to style the hair but there is a little life now. I felt like the original head could go in many ways - male or female. I wanted to do a woman. She's older but not old witch old, she's got wisdom but she's still got spark with those pink cheeks, freckles and ginger hair.

[caption id="attachment_1861" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Finished pieces Finished pieces[/caption]

I sculpted the hands and feet. I didn't use armature in the hands but I did let them cool down and wait to keep them more even; I have a bad problem of rushing and the clay gets too soft - thus mushing the features. I sculpted and baked the feet before adding the sandals. I like the finished look. I decided on the style with the toe mainly because these would be the sandals I want.

After completed all this I built the skeleton/armature using aluminum wire. The head is sculpted on piece with a spiral on each end so the head is on securely and then I use 1 piece for the 2 arms and shoulders and another for the legs and hips. The wire from the head helps form the body. After using wire to secure it all together I bound it with floral tape for more security and to get the wires from getting loose.

The next step will be to glue the hands and feet onto the skeleton. As you can see from the feet, there is a hole in each - the thick wire fits in there exactly and I will add super glue to secure them in place. One they are in place I will be a soft body. Then the real fun - dress up time! I have some vague ideas but I now I need to make them real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment